I agree that tiles controller is the nicest option in terms of design,
but last time i use tiles controllers for exactly this problem I found
that tiles controllers don't throw exceptions in such a way that a
handler can deal with them, and an informative way during development.
But they are a nice option.

> >>I'm not sure how I would reload this
> >>after a change was made to the underlying database (or even detect
> >>that a change was made).

You can repopulate the data whenever you like and from a struts action
if you wish, the same way you would with httpsession or request.

Mark