> I understand the security benefits for a JSP page, but are
> there any for CSS pages, JS files, or images?  What does it
> help with statistics?

Some people/sites restricts access to some images (and other things), as
they could
contain some information worth protection.
As for statistics: You may wanna know, how many of the requested pages are
really displayed (by counting not only requests to pages, but requests to
images hidden on those pages and loaded via javascript), to detect if you
have been crawled or something.

Example:
You have a porno-site, financed by ads. You want to make sure, people really
see ads, and
not just downloading your pix via script.

A better example:
You have a medical site with prepared cardiology images from patients. You
want to make sure,
that only a logged-in doctor is able to view those images (there are other
solutions to do this too, but it serves an example).

Another example:
You want provide a better caching strategy for static webpage contents. You
deliver them with
your own action (actually action is the slowest option to stream things out,
servlet or jsp (under resin) is better) and set proper headers.

But in most cases images, scripts and stylesheets are served well by
webservers, so there is
no need to put them under WEB-INF until there is no explicit need.

As for putting jsps under WEB-INF, it's a matter of taste, in a struts
application, a jsp
even if it can be accessed by the browser, wouldn't deliver anything
senseful, since it
would miss attributes set by the action.

Regards
Leon