Very detailed answer by Jack, as usual :-)

I miss the point making this class an action instead of a servlet.
I think the "return null;" at the end is ugly, and
as I told before, action is the slowest option, and you want to deliver
css and images really fast, since they just block connections, and the
number of connections is a restricted and therefore very valuable resource.

Example: if you run on debian/woody, you have about 500 threads available in
tomcat.
500 threads = approx. 300 connections (http 1.1 browser often open two
connections, but
not always, so I'm counting 1.5 connections / user).

So, (a contra-argument to my own post before) if you want a high-performance
app,
consider moving all static content to another webserver, an apache or squid
in front of apache/tomcat.

Regards
Leon