I think this solution is "the bomb".  I once suggested a generic
solution like this for Struts called StrutsState.  No one was much
interested, so I just built it for my own work.  It is so helpful that
I cannot express my gratitude toward myself to myself.  ///;-)

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 14:27:08 -0500, Frank W. Zammetti
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Someone else made some good suggestions about listeners and plugins.
> These will work well if the dropdown contents are truly static.
>
> If however it might be the kind of values that you want to make sure are
> up-to-date, i.e., read from a database maybe...
>
> Then one simple solution is create yourself a class that is basically
> independant from your application that is used for setup for a paricular
> screen or set of screens.  Create a static method for the setup, then
> from any Action associated with a page that needs that data, just call
> that static method at the start of the Action.  Simple, one line of code
> per Action and one import (or none, if it's in the same package).
>
> I would create static members of the setup class for the attribute
> names, and make the static setup method(s) return something like an
> ArrayList (or whatever type you need), so that you can call it from your
> Actions with something like:
>
> request.setAttribute(MySetupClass.MY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME,
> MySetupClass.doSetup());
>
> That way you aren't tied to it being a webapp, should you need to do a
> different presentation layer later.
>
> I think this is a decent, simple approach to this type of thing.
>
> --
> Frank W. Zammetti
> Founder and Chief Software Architect
> Omnytex Technologies
> http://www.omnytex.com
>
> Ben Taylor wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to put information
> > (required to populate drop down boxes using data from a db) in to the
> > request, without having to write a setup Action for each page as is
> > done here: http://www.reumann.net/struts/lesson2/step9.do .
> >

> > Thank you for any help!

~Dakota Jack~