I would use the aforementioned suggestion and use a Filter with a RequestWrapper to mimic the request.isUserInRole stuff - then you can use the "role" attribute in your action-mappings, your tiles definitions, and with <logic:present>.

This is what Acegi Security does:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/acegisecurity/acegisecurity/core/ src/main/java/net/sf/acegisecurity/wrapper/

Matt

On Mar 10, 2005, at 11:09 AM, Betty Koon wrote:

Matt,

Thanks for the info. We already have our own Authentication mechanism. I
am just thinking about how is it to make use of current role information to
determine what get shown on the UI. Does that mean I have to write custom
tag lib to deal with this.

For isUserInRole, does this only comes in handy for forwarding to an Action.
It can't really control what gets shown on the screen right?

-Betty

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Raible [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:55 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: User Delegation with struts

You could look at using the Acegi Security Framework. I've used it to replace J2EE container authentication in AppFuse - and didn't have to change any code. Works with request.isUserInRole and all that + it allows you more fine grained control on the internals.

http://acegisecurity.sourceforge.net

Unfortunately, it's got a bit of a learning curve - but most good
open-source software does. ;-)

Matt