Question:
For those applications which are both OLAP and OLTP, then why not use both types of solutions?
Is this not a reasonable solution? Am I missing something?

It is indeed a reasonable solution; I don't do much heavy duty data munging, but I've had decent results using views to back beans which model "report rows"; in some cases also I have processes which build a reporting table as a sort of an index, and then use that as a source for report row beans. Yes, it involved making objects which are otherwise irrelevant to the domain, but it really simplified things and avoided the need to move data around between objects and some reporting output.

For real heavy duty data crunching, this may not work, but so far it's been good for me on two projects.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Narrow minds are weapons made for mass destruction" -The Ex