I'm certainly not an upload expert, but I have succeeded in uploading
files before by following the struts sample upload application.  You
can find this among the sample webapps included in the struts binary
distribution.  Check out the code in that sample app, including how
the form was declared and how the action processed the file being
uploaded.

Hubert