> > I asked for an example where you actually need EL -> can't
> achieve the
> > same with (standard) tags.
>
> Oh, ok. No, you are right, all the EL expressions do is make
> my page look a little cleaner vs using c:out. Not that big of
> a deal I guess, however they are nice for certain things...

Actually I was saying the opposite :-) EL makes your page looking
"uglier"...
I mean, you can write
 ${bean.boolProp?'Yes, I am an idiot':'No, not an idiot'}
Or
<% bean.boolProp?"Yes, I am an idiot":"No, not an idiot" %>

I think the idea of tags was the elimination of scriptlets, and now you
bring them back through the back door.

> For examle... say I wanted to quickly change the color of a
> class var for table row color based on the index...
>
> I could just do...

> Granted I should make a tag that does this (and I did), but
> it was just for illustration and it seems cleaner than going
> the whole <c:choose> route imo.

I prefer the tag.
web designer, and I think,
one of our goals should be, not to write jsps by ourselfs, but enable a
html-producer to create pages.
And they can handle documented and explained tags, but not over-powered EL.

> Or, as in the intial question posed, where you wanted to
> display different things based on a boolean...
>
> ${bean.boolProp?'Yes, I am an idiot':'No, not an idiot'}

What about logic:equal? Requires more lines, true, but c:choose would be as
readable as the above line.

Or even a logic:select (not there yet, true, but not a big deal).

And now the 'deadly' anti-EL argument:

With tags you have at least some, not full, but some, compile time type
checking :-)

Leon