Fellow Shale'ers,
Given the scenario when you have reference data to set up, say on the application, which is not dependent on a particular view, but which must be put in place before the first view is displayed, and given that there is no single entry point for the app, what approach would you take?

What I'm currently doing is inserting a custom command into the Shale preprocess chain . This works OK, however, I'm "distressed" by the fact that I can't save the relevant state using a valueBinding because at the point in time the Chain command is first executed there is no FacesContext. So instead I have to set the application attributes directly.
Plan B would be to do the same setup in a common superclass of viewController which will have access to a valid FacesContext, however, I'd rather keep this general setup logically away from the per page setup. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Duncan Mills
http://www.groundside.com/blog