I have a question for all you experts out there.  I have a really big
ActionForm which I am trying to re-use for two views.  One view is
read-only, and the form properties are displayed with c:out, while the
editable form is displayed with html:text, etc.  This isn't new.  My problem
is html:checkbox.  Here's a quote from the Struts API:

WARNING: In order to correctly recognize unchecked checkboxes, the
ActionForm bean associated with this form must include a statement setting
the corresponding boolean property to false in the reset() method.

This is fine as long as you only have one view per form, but I really want
to share this form.  I have 26 items on this form, and it's growing.

Here's the problem:  My read-only view has the box checked.  When I forward
to the editable view, it's corresponding Controller calls reset and wipes
out that checkboxes value so that when it displays, it is unchecked.

I could of course just ditch the checkbox and use a y/n value with some
validation, but I'd rather preserve the data types in the form if possible.

I've tried retrieving the value before displaying the view, but that doesn't
help you when you uncheck the box.  Nothing told the Database you unchecked
the box, so when you go to retrieve the value, it still thinks it's checked.

I know this can be solved with JavaScript, but I want to keep JavaScript to
a minimum.  Do I have any other options besides JS and using two
ActionForms?  I'd like some opinions on which course I should take.  Thanks.

Hyrum Ward
Software Developer
T&R Tax Services