Von: Jeff Beal [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 23. März 2005 21:56
An: Struts Users Mailing List
Betreff: Re: EL Mystery

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:38:39 +0000,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Can some one shed some light on this mystery? Also I have

heard that using EL outside of tags can be a security problem
and that it is better to use a <c:out value="${EL}"/> instead.

The security part of this was mentioned on the list sometime
in the last couple of weeks.  The <c:out/> tags will escape
any HTML-sensitive characters, but the straight EL language
does not.  So, let's say that your variable 'EL' that you
were using is a String:
"<script language=\"_javascript_\" href=""

<c:out value="${EL}"/> would print:
&lt;script language=&quot;_javascript_&quot;
href="" and the user
would just see the characters -- no harm done.

${EL} would just print the String, and whatever script is
included in 'nastybad.js' would be executed on the end-user's machine.

If you are confident that the contents of your EL variable
couldn't possibly have any harmful HTML in them, go ahead and
use ${EL}.

--
Jeff Beal
Webmedx, Inc.