In the menu handler I issue a url like

<c:url var='fooUrl' value='action.do'
  <!-- the identifier for the dispatch action in action.do handler -->
  <c:param name='topic' value='main'/>
  <!-- context attributes -->
  <c:param name='aB' value='${ theForm.valueAB }'/>
  <c:param name='cD' value='${ theForm.valueCD }'/>
  <c:param name='aB' value='${ bar.valueAB }'/>
  <c:param name='cD' value='${ bar.valueCD }'/>
  <!-- specific attributes for the action main -->
  <c:param name='attr1' value='abcdef'/>
</c:url>

  mainAction

theForm is the form associated with the action is shared by the menu and the
body.

Other Url's can replace the context, or attributes of it.

I have one menu for all of the body pages, ant there are 8 attributes that
make up the context for the application.  It dynamically gets the
information needed for the participant.  The menu can change from day to
day.  But the context is defined in a way that the pages all handle the
context correctly.