Frank's suggestion might work, although note that it would result in the discarding of all request parameters, which may not be what you want.

If you have complex session initialization logic in an Action and you want to use it in the Filter, I'd suggest factoring it out into a utility class. Alternatively, don't try to use the filter to do this: the main reason to use a filter is to apply common logic upon every request (or at least many requests); if you have all this in an Action now, that suggests you only use it once.

You could probably also somehow use the Filter to set a request attribute, and then subclass the RequestProcessor to recognize that request attribute as an instruction to invoke your session-prep action -- but that seems way more complicated than you really need.

Joe