Spring is a large project with several components. The Spring Core
works just fine with Struts. You can use it to instantiate your
business objects from Struts Actions.

Aside from Spring Core, the Spring project also includes a Spring MVC
component. Spring MVC does overlap with Struts. Spring MVC is a fine
framework. Use whichever one works best for you.

Yes, Struts + Spring + hibernate (or iBATIS) is an excellent approach.

-Ted.