Comments in line..

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:46 PM

> Oy.
>
> I'm assuming that you're talking about the loadLocale() method within...
>
> org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources
>
> I see that inheritance wise,
>
> 1. PropertyMessageResources  extends  MessageResources
> 2. PropertyMessageResourcesFactory extends MessageResourcesFactory
>
> Logical.
>
> So, I'll create
>
> 1. DatabaseMessageResources  extends  MessageResources
> 2. DatabaseMessageResourcesFactory extends MessageResourcesFactory

Yes

> Questions
> 1. should I create them in the org.apache.struts.util. package?
> mucking with struts seems risky

Theres no need or reason to use the Struts package.

> 2. how do I tell the application to use MY
> DatabaseMessageResourcesFactory  and DatabaseMessageResources
> instead of PropertyMessageResourcesFactory and
> PropertyMessageResources

Use the factory attribute. In your struts-config.xml...

<message-resources factory="mPackage.DatabaseMessageResourcesFactory" />

Add a key, if you don't want them to be the "default" bundle.

> What about my idea of just letting the whole thing run notmally then
> replacing the resulting collection with a NEW collection... The
> benefit there is I dont have to touch Struts at all, which, I'll be
> honest.. I REALLY dont want to.

You don't have to customize Struts, just configure it as I showed above.

Niall