It is simply a community.

I my case I had started my own version of Struts without realizing that
there was already one created but with a community behind it !
I soon stopped using my own and switched to Struts. [Okay, I still have on
application in production yet to be converted]

In the end Struts is way of doing things within  an MVC architecture.
However, it is an industry wide accepted and used framework.
This is a powerful argument in the corporate world... since there is a
community behind it, lots of documentation/books, and lots of resources
who know it.

The framework would not have advanced so quickly without the community,,,
for developers to commit code, for users to use it, the whole for
injecting the framework with a momentum to sustain its evolution.

- Glenn