Hi again,

I posted this yesterday but got no reply, so here it is again - can anyone
help?

Thanks
Alan

Alan Mullane
04/12/2005 10:30 AM

        To:     user@struts.apache.org
        cc:
        Subject:        ActionForward not working in Struts/Filters/XSLT
application

Hi,

I am working on the development a Struts application that reads all user
requests into a number of Struts Actions
and uses XSLT to output the response of all pages as HTML. Also, all
requests pass through one or more Servlet
Filters before entering the Actions, to handle security, logging, etc.
The application only uses actions for processing input requests and
doesn't use any additional web pages
such as static JSPs or html pages. The output presentation data is
dynamically generated by java objects, then
written by the Action to the HttpServletResponse and then transformed into
HTML using an XSLT transformer.
The application doesn't use ActionForward but instead the response is
always written to the HttpServletResponse
and a null ActionForward is returned by the calling action.

In some parts of the application I need to re-route the request to another
page (for example, to a logout page if the
user session expires). I have tried to use the ActionForward for this
case, by calling 'mapping.findForward("logout")
but it doesn't work and I always get a blank page - I defined action
forwards in the action mappings in the struts-config.xml
file but it seems that Struts doesn't allow forwarding to other actions in
this type of application (Struts/Filters to XSLT).

For now I am using HttpServletResponse.sendRedirect("logout.do") to get
around this problem, but it is messy as I need
to catch IOException and also lose any parameters within the request - I
would prefer to use the Struts framework for this
as it is much cleaner and parameters already in the request can be reused.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
Alan