Hey

That totally makes sense, and I definitely see hot to iterate through
a collection of Strings or other straightforward things, but what I'm
confused about is that my PortfolioBeanCollection (extends ArrayList)
contains objects of type "PortfolioBean" which in  turn contain the
attribute I'm trying to display..so the PortfolioBean itself has no
explicit name to which I can refer...

so I really want to do something like

PortfolioBeanCollection.PortfolioBean.portfolioName

normally, I'd just loop through the PortfolioBeanCollection casting
the resulting Object into a PortfolioBean then calling the
getPortfolioName() method on the bean

The examples I'be found deal more with simple Collections of Strings,
ints, etc. where you might have a collection of "teachers" for example
and want to print out the firstName attribute of each... whereas my
example has another later.

I might be babbling. Does that make sense?

On 4/13/05, Dave Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Johnson wrote:
>
> >that makes sense, but the individual portfolios (the members of the
> >PortfolioBeanCollection) dont really have a name, I just looped
> >through my result set doing
> >
> >PortfolioBeanCollection PBC=new PortfolioBeanCollection ();
> >while (result.hasnext){
> > pbc.add (new PortfolioBean(resultSet.getString("namefield")));
> >}
> >
> >so I really just used the PortfolioBeanCollection as if it were a
> >garden variety ArrayList.... does your comment still apply?
> >

> Of course--you have to tell the <c:out...> tag a) what bean to get the
> property from and b) what property to display. When you say <c:forEach
> items="${userPortfolios}"...> you are telling c:forEach what collection
> to use for the iteration. When you say <c:forEach var="portfolio"...>
> you are creating a variable you can use in other JSTL tags--in essence
> naming each portfolio bean "portfolio" for the purposes of JSTL.
>
> But you still have to tell <c:out...> what bean and what property,
> otherwise how would it know what to print? When you just say <c:out
> value="${portfolioName}"/> it's looking for an application, session,
> request, or page scoped attribute named "portfolioName". Without the
> prepended "portfolio" it doesn't know that the property "portfolioName"
> is associated with a bean created through the c:forEach iterator.
>
> I'd recommend checking out some very basic JSTL docs to get a feel for
> how JSTL works:
> http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/08/14/jstl1.html
> http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/09/11/jstl2.html
>
> Dave
>
> (Wouldn't it have been quicker to just but the property name in your
> code and see if it worked?)

-Dave
[EMAIL PROTECTED]