From: Tom Bednarz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 11:44 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: User Certificates and application managed security -- possible??

Hi,

We have a customer who is introducing chip cards with
client-certificates for single sign on. Because of this I have to change
a web-application we provided. The application implements its own
security mechanisms and uses roles (defined for every action in
struts-config.xml) and roles in struts-menu to control access to offered
functionalities.

If I understand things correctly, to support client-certificates  I need
to define (beside SSL which is already supported)  in my web.xml
something like:

<login-config>
    <auth-method>CLIENT-CERT</auth-method>
</login-config>

What happens to users who DO NOT have a certificate? In my program code
I would be able to present a login-page and perform a different (second)
method of authentication. If I understand things right, the above tag
FORCES users to present a certificate to Tomcat (or whatever server) and
fails otherwise.

How can this be solved? I should implement something like:

Is a certificate there? If yes read it and continue in the web app. If
not, open a login screen and allow a username / password authentication.
Once the authentication was successful I read the roles from a database
server and everything should work as it does now (without client
certificates)

Many thanks for your help

Tom