The property should be set on your ActionForward, and you should be able to do this:

ActionForward f = mapping.findForward("NameOfForward");
SubClassOfActionForward scoaf = (SubClassOfActionForward) f;

if (!("TitleForThePage".equals(scoaf.getPageTitle)) throw new IllegalStateException("What did I do wrong?");

I haven't tested this lately but I'm pretty sure we've used it on a few applications; it's much more common that I do the equivalent with ActionMapping, which definitely works.

I'm not sure what you mean by this:
* Is it possible to declare our own property entries using the set-property tag,

it seems like this is what you are already trying to do, so maybe I don't understand you.

Joe