We've always shied away from defining best practices as part of the
project. The Struts framework is quite flexible, even to a fault, and
different people use it in many different ways.

My best suggestion is to "use the source".  Don't look at the
framework as a black box that needs to be explained by gurus. Look at
it as something your own team wrote and that you have now inherited.
Review the code, and if there is something you don't understand, this
*is* the place to ask.  :)

As it happens, I did put together a list of "best practices" for a
presentation recently. See the "Struts Best Practices" slide mentioned
here:

http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsUniversity

If someone wanted to start a set of wiki pages to correspond to the
slides, be my guest :)

There has been talk of refactoring the Struts MailReader example
application so that it is also a best practices application. Right
now, it sometimes does some things for the sake of demonstration,
which can be confusing.

Perhaps we should lobby Steve Raeburn to commit his Struts Cookbook
example application,

* http://www.ninsky.com/struts/

merge it with the other examples, so that we are left with Struts
MailReader and a Struts Cookbook. :)

I started another instance of a Struts Cookbook here,

* http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=49385&package_id=82307

to go along with the Struts Recipes title by Manning, but, sadly,
didn't have time to finish it.

HTH, Ted.