Hi,
I am also interested in integrating a chat engine with my Struts
application - with very similar requirements. In fact I posted a msg
here before checking this thread !

I am not familar with any of the Sockets, ServerSockets, XML API or
Threads. So looks like building from scratch is not an option to me;
Smack sounds good, but with the problems you pointed out, I doubt if I
am able to handle them correctly.

Would you contribute your modifcation back to Smack someday ?

appreciate your info very much !
lixin