yes you won't be able to solve that problem if you are rendering 88 select
boxes. why? because you are rending 88 select boxes that are populated from the
database. no amount of client-sise javascript (yuck) is going to help you.

you need to re-factor your design which is clearly not working for you.

if you absolutely cannot re-factor the design, then you could consider using
some caching strategy to prevent the huge database lookup more than once using
something like OSCACHE perhaps.

you could also consider hitting the database for 1 select list and building the
html select
list into a java String, i.e

String select = "<select name=\"PLACEHOLDER\">";
// loop database result set adding <option> to select
// render JSP page

in your JSP, replace the PLACEHOLDER with the select name you need

<%
  String select = request.getAttribute("select");
%>

<%= select.replaceAll("PLACEHOLDER", "selectNameA") %>
<%= select.replaceAll("PLACEHOLDER", "selectNameB") %>

This method therefore hits the database ONCE (since you say you can reuse the
select lists) and should be much faster.

Allistair.

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055