Actually, you can make it redirect, but this affects the whole
application, since you need to make change in <controller> element:
<controller inputForward="true"/> Then you will need to refer a
<forward> element in your "input" property:
    <action ... input = "itemError">
       <forward name="itemError" path="/displayError.do" redirect="true"/>
    </action>

Because this involves a regular <forward> element anyway, I think that
"input" in its current state does not make much sense. We can simply
have a designated <forward> for input errors, with predefened mapping
name, like ERROR_INPUT:

    <action>
       <forward name="ERROR_INPUT" path="/displayError.do" redirect="true"/>
    </action>

This will also allow to have several error handlers, with names
starting on "ERROR_" or something. Just a thought.

Michael.