Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a small encoding problem, which drives me crazy...
>
> Our complete site is in ISO-8859-1 (which is java-default, as I understand
> it). I mean, the charset of the page is ISO, and meta-tags in HTML are
> telling the
> browser that the page is ISO too.
> Now the problem, that I have, is that I have to transmit some XML data to
> another system (payment provider) which expects it in UTF-8.
> The problem is that customer name can contain Umlauts (german characters:
> ÃÃÃ), and they come truncated on the other side:
>
> Like I'm sending "Ãmlaut" and the other side gets ÃÂÂmlaut.

Well this may not be as simple as the other posts suggested. The "ÃÂÂ"
string *is* UTF-8. It is the bytes EF BF BD, the UTF-8 encoded form of
U+FEFF, the Unicode BOM (byte order mask), a.k.a. ZWNBSP (zero width non
breaking space).

This should help you see more clearly what exactly is going wrong.

> I tried each conversion method I could think of sofar:
> reinitializing the String as new String with reencoding: name = new
> String(name.getBytes("ISO-8859-1"), "UTF-8") (in all combinations)

Instead of that, try using debug messages to print your string and see
if it's right.

> Using URLDecoder to decode parameters.

Unrelated to this problem.

> Using charsetencoded Writer (OutputStreamWriter writer = new
> OutputStreamWriter(outStream, "UTF-8")).
> and so on...
>
> Can anyone give me a hint?

Debug messages all the way, when you know where the problem is, you can
find how to fix it.