> I do not recommend using a filter.  You are much better off using what
> you've already invested your time in (Struts).

I disagree.  I think that a filter is best suited for what you are trying
to accomplish.  Whenever a request is submitted to your application, you
should verify that the user is valid before anything else takes place.  As
such, a filter meets that requirement (among other things).

In addition, implementing a filter doesn't negate any work done in struts.
 On the contrary, in my opinion, it enhances application.

> b) throw an exception that you've globally configured
>    Struts to handle (declarative exception handling)

Another option is to throw a "session expired" specific exception (from
the filter) and manage it in your container.

Of course (as mentioned in another post) you can also use
response.sendRedirect("/path/to/your/action/")

Hope this helps.
Aladin