On 5/23/05, Joe Germuska <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Marco wrote:
> >Does Shale use chain? Could you integrate chain in Shale?
>
> Shale does use chain, but to be honest, I don't know much more about
> it than that.

Shale uses Commons Chain to configure it's application level
processing (i.e. the stuff that is performed in its "front controller"
filter).  Shale does not use Commons Chain for any detailed
per-request processing (although you can easily do so for your own
application's purposes, by having your action handler (the code that
processes a submit button event, sorta like an Action.execute() method
in Struts 1.x) look up an appropriate Chain, set up an appropriate
Context, and then fire off the chain.

For conversation management, Shale also includes Dialog -- a very
simple implementation of the same idea that Spring WebFlow fleshes out
in all its sophisticated glory.  This is quite useful for managing
state across a multiple-request dialog with the user.  This doesn't
use Commons Chain, because it supports transitions to one of several
next states, based on logical outcomes -- and the sequential flow
nature that Commons Chain provides does not really match that model.

Craig