On 5/24/05, Laurie Harper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Nope, Dave nailed it. Re-read the requirement I described. The point is
> to avoid using actions to load the data and pass it to the view. If you
> re-read my description of what I mean by 'push' vs. 'pull' rather than
> simply saying the terms mean something different it might help.

Laurie,

(Sorry for the late response -- just getting back from vacation).

You might want to take a look at how Shale approaches your "pull" requirement.

  http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsShale/

Being JSF based, Shale encourages you to associate a single bean with
each JSP page, where the bean can have more than one behavior (versus
a Struts 1.x action where the only behavior is to process the submit).
 In particular, Shale supports a prerender() method that can be used
to pull the data that this page "knows" it needs from the model -- and
it sits right next to the logic (in a separate method) that processes
the subsequent submit.  In Struts 1.x terms, prerender() is where
you'd do the things you currently do in a setup action, while the
normal event handling method (called an "action" in JSF parlance, but
it's a method instead of a class) does the follow-up updates to the
model.

In Struts 1.x, you see this same idea directly implemented in Tiles,
via the Controller interface.  It's also a dominant idea in ASP.Net,
Tapestry, and Spring MVC -- and it's sorta immortalized in the J2EE
design patterns lexicon as the View Helper pattern.

I'd be interested to hear if this is close to what you had in mind, or
if it was something else again.

Craig McClanahan