Hi, Ray,

Why is what you are doing superior to the standard?  The standard is
something like the following and is very efficient, I think?

          <!--
          ERRORS
          -->
          <logic:messagesPresent>
            <ul>
                <li>
                    <bean:write name='error'/>
                </li>
            </ul>
          </logic:messagesPresent>
          <!--
          MESSAGES
          -->
          <logic:messagesPresent message='true'>
            <ul>
                <li>
                    <bean:write name='message'/>
                </li>
            </ul>
          </logic:messagesPresent>

On 5/27/05, Ray Madigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am looking for the ability to handle the ActionMessage in a different way
> in my application.  In the validate method of the form I create a new
> instance of ActionErrors and add ActionMessage instances to it.  In the
> Action dispatch method I call validate and get a non empty ActionErrors
> instance.  To figure how to make this work, I can get the iterator to the
> keys and copy it to the request attribute like
>
> Iterator iter = errors.properties ( );
> request.setAttribute ( "ERRORS", errors );
>
> but I can't get the messages associated with the property to allow me to
> manipulate my page.
>
> What I would like is:
>
> for ActionErrors to be a collection, the I could iterate on the errors and
> get the key and the values.  I could iterate on the values, or reteive a
> specific one.
>
> I want the ability to inspect an error condition and if it exists or not and
> generate jsp accordingly with an error message.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> it would look like, but I dream too much
>
> <c:choose>
> <c:when test='${ not empty ERROR.confirmMatch }'>
>     <c:forEach var='message' items='${ERROR.confirmMatch}'>
>         <!--  Generate specific code -->
>     </c:forEach>
> </c:when>
> <c:otherwise>