1) First, set the null attribute to "false" in your message resources
config: http://www.systemmobile.com/articles/strutsMessageResources.html
And check that Struts at least tries to load messages.

2) Does your form bean check for empty fields? Seems, that it forwards
to "input" without handing control over to action.

3) If (2) is correct, then when form fields are not empty, your action
checks them, and then redirects. Request values are lost after
redirection.

Michael.