Hi Wendy,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I also thought that I could test the key, then check to see if the
value was empty. But just how to do it is eluding me. I think part of
the problem might be this:

USAGE NOTE - If you use another tag to create the body content (e.g.
bean:write), that tag must return a non-empty String. An empty String
equates to an empty body or a null String, and a new scripting variable
cannot be defined as null. Your bean must return a non-empty String, or
the define tag must be wrapped within a logic tag to test for an empty
or null value.

(from the Struts User Guide for bean:define at
http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/struts-bean.html#define).

I'm trying to do something like

        <tiles:useAttribute name="directionToUser"
classname="java.lang.String"/>

        <bean:define id="directionToUserString"
class="java.lang.String">
                <bean:message key="<%=directionToUser.toString()%>"/>
        </bean:define>

        <logic:notEmpty name="directionToUserString">
name="directionToUserString"/></div>
        </logic:notEmpty>

But it's failing (I think) because the bean:message returns an empty
String. I would wrap it in a logic tag as suggested, but if I could do
that, I'd just use the same logic for my logic:notEmpty tag instead. So
finding a way to take that value and assign that to a variable which I
can then test to see whether or not it's empty is what I'm trying to do.

It was not my idea to add all of these empty i18n values: the i18n team
did it. If I can't find a way to make this idea work, that's my
alternate path. If that's the road I need to take, I can do it -- I was
just hopeful I could do this a little more elegantly.

Thanks for your input. Any further ideas?

Chris