On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 23:08 -0400, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
> Duong BaTien wrote:
> > First, thanks for an extra help.
>
> No problem... I hope I can help further :)
>
> > The whole idea is to use SSL for confidential pages such as logon,
> > change username / password, edit profile with confidential data. Other
> > time some resources may just be protected by roles. The ideal situation
> > is to switch between SSL and Non-SSL using proper configuration on
> > stand-alone tomcat (not with tomcat and apache front end).
>
> So it is within the same webapp... I think Craig raised a valid point in
> that case... once the connection isn't secured, a would-be hacker can
> play some games by sniffing the wire.  If security is important enough
> to encrypt certain pages, I would wonder if they really all should be
> encrypted.  Let's move beyond that though because if that's your
> requirement than that's what you have to pull off :)

Yes, if everything is straight then our life is simpler isn't it? Some
files are too big and ssl will kill us in the business world. We protect
them using roles.

> > The issue with standalone tomcat is that once the user is login under
> > SSL, all connections including public resources not protected by web.xml
> > after the SSL will be in SSL under the same application.
>
> I don't know what the spec says in this regard... this could be a by
> design mechanism, or it could be a bug in Tomcat.  It might be worth
> researching though... you may be trying to fight something that is
> actually working as it is supposed to.

That is what a great developer community is about. Unfortunately, i am
not a hard core developer.

> > I did that but the same issue of serving public resource with SSL still
> > persist after the SSL connection. Note: I just found out that i did
> > something wrong so i still have to qualify this result(?).
>
> When you say "public resource", what does that mean?  Do you mean an
> unconstrained resource?

Yes, unconstrained resource.

> > Because i have not been able to switch between ssl (not for the session
> > id but for Confidential data) and non-ssl connection, i work out the
> > second plan to use 2 web applications under the same tomcat host and use
> > tomcat SingleSignOn to co-ordinate user sessions under the 2 web apps: 1
> > for SSL and 1 for non SSL.
>
> Just a shot in the dark, but what if you define a constraint on your
> UNPROTECTED resources and define the transport guarantee as NONE?  It
> sounds like the user will always pass through a secured page first, so
> they would have a session established and be authenticated to a user
> realm, so I *think* it will work... I wonder if that will force it to a
> non-SSL state though?

This is a good suggestion. I wil try this simple and easy thing first.

> > That is what i hope to get some help. The issue has nothing to do with
> > shale. I am sure that some one has done this successfully with
> > standalone tomcat. I appreciate any help. I ask this list under Shale
> > because under the scenario as explained below that i need 2 web apps, i
> > want to use shale for both.
>
> Certainly asking this on the Tomcat list would probably get you some
> further help... There may be some folks that that already know the ins
> and outs of Tomcat specifically better than I do.

As i said i picked up a thread called Forced Non-SSL from tomcat user
list and promised to report back the result of my investigation for the
benefit of others.

> > Yes, this is what i expect. But the reality is that the non-protected
> > resources NOT under <security-constraint> are served by ssl once ssl is
> > used, at least as i see it and also reported by another user in tomcat
> > user list under standalone tomcat 5.5.9.
>
> Interesting... That *sounds* like a bug, but again, I'd be interested to
> know what the spec says.  Might be exactly what *should* happen.  But if
> you can, give my suggestion a try... Could be a simple fix :)

Yes, this is my intention. I will report back to this list my
investigation and the result i choose since i am planning to use shale
for a production project by the end of this year.

> > Yes, i know and did that under pure html for testing. I ask for Jsf
> > because if i have to go to the route of having 2 web applications: 1 for
> > ssl connection and 1 for non-ssl connection, then i want to further
> > explore if i can use shale for both rather than ssl application for just
> > simple workaround.
>
> Gotcha.  Let's see if we can't get it working the way you expected
> though, and the way I would have expected it too... we might both learn
> something here :)

I hope the list won't mind for the question predominantly tomcat and
related to shale only at a higher level.

BaTien
DBGROUPS