First off, there is no clear definition of what chaining is. Some say,
that chaining is the process of transferring control strictly on the
server (forwarding from action to action), thus linking action via
redirect does not count as chaining :) Also there is an opinion that
two actions do not make a chain, only three or more :)

Anyway, search struts wiki for that matter. Do not forget, that if you
chain actions on server, then request data will be applied to the form
bean of the next action, so you need to make sure that form bean of
your second action has different fields or does not have setters. If
you "chain" action using redirection, then unless you stuck something
in URL, the request object will be clean, and form bean will not be
populated.

http://wiki.apache.org/struts/ActionChaining?highlight=%28chaining%29
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsMultipleActionForms
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsCatalogInputOutputSeparation