On 6/17/05, Frank W. Zammetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Good info Craig... So do I understand correctly then that you can specify
> multiple config files for an app regardless of module usage (well, one with
> just the "default" module really)?

Yep.

> I thought I saw someone mention a CSV list in the ActionServlet init param,
> is that all there is to it?...

Yep :-).

>If so, I don't think I was aware of that, definitely not fully
anyway,  and thank you for pointing it out :)

You're welcome.

Of course, there's also an XML level solution to this problem,
something that works even if the program that is reading the document
doesn't support multiple configuration files -- XML entities.
Consider the following sort of struts-config.xml file:

<!DOCTYPE struts-config PUBLIC
  "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration 1.2//EN"
  "http://struts.apache.org/dtds/struts-config_1_2.dtd"; [

  <!ENTITY package-a SYSTEM "package-a.xml">
  <!ENTITY package-b SYSTEM "package-b.xml">
]>

<struts-config>

  &package-a;
  &package-b;

</struts-config>

where "package-a.xml", "package-b.xml" and so on contain the form
beans and actions for some logical subset of your overall application.
 In this scenario, the XML parser glues everything together into one
document (from the point of view of the application doing the
parsing), while still allowing each subset's own configuration file to
be managed by the team that is responsible for the code and JSP pages
for that subset.

This strategy works with any sort of environment that consumes XML
documents, because it's the parser that is doing the dirty work for
you.

> Frank

Craig