On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 18:54 +0200, mario nee wrote:
> in Unix system you must have root permission to open a port under 1024.

Hello,

While this is right, I would not recommend to run Tomcat as root. Better
run Tomcat with another port just like the default 8080 and use a
firewall application such as iptables to internally forward incoming
requests to port 8080; thus you avoid dangerous exploits in Tomcat's
webapps.

It can be done w/ something similar to this:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
--to-port 8080

--
greetings,                   |  /"\
                             |  \ /  ASCII-Ribbon-Campaign
Timo                         |   X     Against HTML Mail