On 6/30/05, Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: "Bill Schneider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tiles is very powerful but I've found that 99% of the time I'm only using
it to wrap a page in a consistent layout/navigation. It seems like I'm
not getting enough value out of it to justify the additional layer of
indirection of having to touch tiles-defs.xml. I also would love to be
able to include header/footer pages from another webapp context.

What about plain-old jsp includes? Maybe they're "enough" for your needs.

I believe that if you are using JSP includes, the included file, "looses"
any objects that were put in using request.setAttribute(...) ? I have found
that using jsp:includes is typicaly good enough to include any group page
imports, definitions and maybe any JavaScript...

Maybe this example can help you decide, if <jsp:include> is sufficient
for you:
http://struts.sourceforge.net/strutsdialogs/dialogaction-logincontrolsample.html

It has link to this live demo (can be offline from time to time, since
this is a shared Tomcat):
http://www.superinterface.com/strutsdialog/embeddedmasterpage-tomcat.do

The "Sign In" box is an included Struts component. Notice, that it
knows nothing about master page, and master page knows nothing about
the component.

Michael.