On 7/1/05, John Henry Xu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Leon Rosenberg wrote: I think the larger problem for a java developer
> in a small business sector
> > is PHP or even Perl. .NET is mostly irrelevant, at least in germany.
>
> Agree with you that PHP snd Perl and MySQL are popular on web these days.
> See the blogs and forums, most are PHP. This makes me wonder where
> java-based applications such as Java Face, EJB or Struts played on the
> large public web applications. There must be some economic reasons
> behind it.

For public Internet sites, one of the issues for the Java platform is
the relative number of hosting sites that have Java technology
available, versus (say) PHP or PERL.  In turn, this is related to a
relative lack of knowledge on the part of ISP sysadmins about how to
set up and administer the Java stuff (not that it's any harder than
configuring httpd.conf ... it's just different).

A really useful open source project would be to provide one or more
completely integrated packages (Apache HTTPD + Tomcat, Apache HTTPD +
Geronimo, Tomcat standalone, Geronimo standalone, etc.) that have
everything an app developer would like to see (database, JSF, JSTL,
Hibernate, ...) and are trivially easy for an interested ISP to
download and install, coupled with sysadmin-oriented documentation
that helps them hook in the facilities to the rest of their
environment.  It would need to include, for example, options that
allowed the ISP to sell both shared JVM and standalone JVM
environments to their customers (probably for a lower and higher
price, respectively), with extra points for supporting goodies like
distributed applications.

The number of public webapps (no matter what the implementation
technology) is actually pretty small compared to the number of
applications (no matter what the impementation technology) behind the
firewall, so this situation isn't a total surprise ... but making it
easier for ISPs to provide a nice Java runtime environment would go a
long ways towards helping the availability of Java webapps on the
public part of the net.

> Jack H. Xu
> Technology columnist and editor

Craig