I suggest not involving Struts at all when it comes to configuration of and
access to data stores.

Write a ConnectionManager (sounds like you've already got that idea), who will
be in charge of Connections. In the ConnectionManager's init block or
constructor, look up your DataSource using a JNDI lookup based on the name you
used in your container's DataSource configuration file (in Tomcat this would
typically be your "context.xml" file, which is often called
"<my_app_name>.xml"), and cache the reference to the DataSource. Then provide a
static method (or a instance method on a singleton) for getting connections.

(Please note I didn't proofread this for errors)

DataSource ds;
 . . .
Object o = ic.lookup("java:/comp/env/jdbc/MyDataSource");// "MyDataSource" was
specified in Tomcat file, "foo.xml"
ds = (DataSource) PortableRemoteObject.narrow(DataSource.class, o);
. . .
static getConnection() {
  try {
     return ds.getConnection();
  }
  catch (Exception e) {
    //try using DriverManager
  }
  return null;
}

You probably already know all this, it's the same old fashioned J2EE way . . .

Erik