On 7/8/05, James Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Andrew, you must be new here.  See, on Fridays (usually), we like to cut up
> and have a little fun.  I think I've donated enough blood on this list to
> deserve a break every now and then.

And perhaps its time to reign in the freedom to cut up a little on
Fridays.  With freedom comes responsibility, and there's been way too
many abuses of that freedom lately (including this thread).

> If you don't like wasting time with [OT] posts, filter them.  Every decent
> mail client will allow you to do that.

Note that filtering is not a complete answer.  Consider a scenario
where you are subscribed to a list like this from your company email
address, where you have (explicitly or implicitly) agreed to whatever
terms of use your company's IT department imposes on you.  In more
than a few companies, incoming email messages are scanned for
inappropriate content -- and you could be violating the policies even
if you have a personal filter set up so that *you* don't have to read
the messages.  "But I didn't read it" isn't going to be a very useful
defense -- any more than if your mom caught you reading Playboy when
growing up, and you tried "but I didn't look at the pictures, I was
only reading the articles!"

I'd like to point you at a blog written recently by an industry
colleague, who has been observing what's going on here:

http://www.groundside.com/blog/content/DuncanMills/J2EE%20Development/2005/07/08/Respect.html

Even though Duncan works for a company that competes with my employer,
and builds a tool that is competitive with the one I work on, I still
consider him a friend, like many things about his product, and
collaborate with him where possible to improve the overall state of
the industry.  I wholeheartedly subscribe to his comments about
respect, and would like to see a return to the way that the Struts
user list worked (nearly all of the time) until fairly recently --
where respect was the norm.  Today it is not ... and even in jest many
of the comments are innappropriate and embarrasing (to the rest of the
community, for having to be associated with it).

If you're only here for the Friday [OT] humor, then I suggest you find
a different place to cut loose.  The purpose of this list is to answer
user questions about Struts and all its related technologies -- and
you'll sure like how you look on a Google search ten years from now
for your name if you've posted like a mature adult instead of an
immature 8-year-old.

Craig McClanahan