When I've had to do something like this in the past, I didn't actually change the target, but rather caused the response page to use the new target as part of its page loading. That is, the response page would have an onload handler which would load the necessary content in a new target.

If your new target is a new window, pop-up blockers may foil this, and of course, you'll have to make sure to preserve any relevant state, since the onload handler will initiate a separate request.

Can you make that work?

Joe