As far as security and authorization goes, where I work we very much view
it as, I suppose, a ring around the Olympic rings... perhaps a 100m track?
:)

We have completely externalized security from all our applications and
have built a fairly robust Security Framework, on top of J2EE security and
LDAP.  Further, we are now taking customization and adding it in.

Currently, once a user is authenticated and authorized, it is only THEN
that the application code begins.  The application can make simple queries
to get basic user info (name, group, whatever attributes are stored in
LDAP), but things like "what can this particular user do within this
particular app" is still within each app.  This is what we are
generalizing and moving out to the framework now.  We have some good ideas
about doing this, and keeping it generic enough to work across-the-board,
but I suppose we'll know if we succeeded in a few months.

I think validation gets into a whole other problem domain.  We haven't
come up with that answer yet, Olympic analogy or not :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect