> Again, that's a situation where you are involving consultants.
> Consultants
> are expected to know the technology and not learn it on their customers'
> time.  When a company has its own IT staff, there are rarely opportunities
> for somebody else to underbid them.

Really? the majority of the work i do is for companies/organisations that
have their own IT department.

An example: the NHS
They probably have more IT staff than most large software dev companies.  If
they were a bit more organised/centralised they could save themselves a
packet, and stop using external companies (which rip them off then get the
work done in india on the cheap - note we do neither of these!).

Daniel.