I use AJAX to kick off the process. For this case You can send an AJAX request to get the time, once recieved display a div that will contain the "progress bar" and submit a second request to run the actual process. On completion, you can forward the page to the next url.

If you use DWR and can just display an anamated gif or flash movie, then you can use the built in pre and post process hooks. The preprocess would display the image and the post would hide it. on completion of the process have the page submit to the next screen.

Inactive hide details for "David Erickson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"David Erickson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

          "David Erickson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

          07/22/2005 02:41 PM

          Please respond to

cc

Subject

Technique for undetermined time of processing - progress bar

Sorry for the vague subject.  I've got a situation where I need to do some
processing before moving a user to a specific page.  The processing could be
very fast or very long.  I'd like to have some kind of a progress bar type
meter than can show how much time is left.  I will know for sure the exact
time it will take to process, and I can retrieve that at the beginning of
the processing.  When processing is done I want to go to a different url.
Has anyone done anything like this before, and if so what were the best ways
you found of accomplishing this?

Thanks,
David