Mark Benussi wrote:

I have never done any PHP so I can't comment, but agree with the previous
comments in so far as Struts/Java/Servlets is for large applications. I
would not build a suite of actions and database pooling for my old mans
plane photos web site.

You may be just repeating the marketing theory, not what was validated in practice. Friendster switched to PHP after Java, so I guess they did not find Java scaleable. On a large project you may want to reduce risk by starting w/ 80% of project done and customize the last 20%. Imagine, 1st week and you are 80% done.
There is DAO, etc for PHP, take a look at architecture of TikiWiki.
And my faviorte lesson: Home page of Spring is in Plone.

Here is a good summary of what's out there:
http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=388&Itemid=143

So if you do non RiA application.... you need to objactivley consider php and plone, see if they have a solution w/ less risk.

.V