Rick, I'm sure you already have, but just in case you haven't...

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

It provides a pretty detailed explaination of how to configure cross-context logging using either log4j or java.util.logging package.

BTW, Tomcat 5.5 uses Commons Logging which I think defaults to java.util.logging if its found and no other logging configs are specified.

/robert