At 5:21 AM -0700 8/11/05, netsql wrote:
W/ Tomcat 5 (Servlet 2.4) you should use latest JSTL and regualr Struts tags.

You would only use Struts-el tags w/ Servlet 2.3.

I would agree with Vic; however, note that you must change your web.xml file so that the root "web-app" element makes it clear to your container that you want to use JSP 2.0:

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
                             http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";
         version="2.4">

If you don't do this, then the container will use JSP 1.1 so as not to confuse things by interpreting inline expressions. At least, that's what Tomcat does, and I'm assuming it's part of the spec.

Once you've done this, you may find that you have some unexpected behavior with old code which did its own expression evaluation (like the struts-el library) because the expressions will be evaluated by the JSP processor before they are passed to your custom tags.

I only had a couple cases where this was an issue, and it wasn't too hard to work around, but it means that you probably don't want to just casually change the web.xml and then toss an app into production without testing.

Inline expression evaluation is SO nice -- death to <c:out>! ;-)

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Narrow minds are weapons made for mass destruction" -The Ex