At 6:18 PM -0600 8/10/05, C.F. Scheidecker Antunes wrote:
Hello all,

I was reading about modules and I wonder if anyone had ever used them.
As far as I can see by the examples, if you have different modules you still
run only one ActionServlet.

It is true that you would only have one ActionServlet, but the ActionServlet does very little work in Struts after initialization; once an application is initialized, per-module RequestProcessor objects do just about everything.

Hence modules seem to be useful only for group programming and bigger projects.
Am I right on this?

This is probably right. After implementing one or two projects with modules, I personally found that they don't fit my team's development style. My feeling is that the original design of modules was for software components that were pretty independent of each other, and there are pretty substantial "walls" between modules. Yes, they share the same ServletContext, but Struts tries to isolate modules from each other, where I was frequently looking for more integration.

Personally, once I realized that you can use any number of struts-config.xml, tiles-definition.xml and validation.xml files without using modules, I had no further interest in "making modules work" for my projects; the main gain I sought from them was decomposing monolithic config files.

Perhaps someone else can provide a testimonial on why modules helped them do something?

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Narrow minds are weapons made for mass destruction" -The Ex