On 8/22/05, Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From: "Rick Reumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > Ok, I'll try this with Shale, although I'm really surprised the framework
> > (JSF) doesn't take care of this for you by default? In struts it's so
> > simple, I simply forward to an Action that populates my employees.

Some people find the need for separate setup and processing actions to
be a usability issue with Struts :-).  Of course, it's all about what
you are used to, as well ... learning new idioms always seems more
difficult than applying what you already know.

> Consider that Struts added services on top of Servlets and JSP... and now
> Shale is adding services on top of JSF.  You can only get so much into a
> specification.  ;)  Some of it either has to wait for the next version, or
> just doesn't belong in there to begin with.

The timing issue was definitely important when we were trying to
finish up JSF 1.0 ... if we'd made it a requirement to cover all the
functionality of every important web framework in existence, we'd
still be working on it :-).

That being said, one of the roles Shale will likely play is a proving
ground for what sorts of functionality *should* be added in a JSF 2.0
type time frame.  That lets the innovation and experimentation happen
where it works best (in an open source environment) before APIs get
locked down into a standard.

Craig