Hi Paul,

How about using a DBCP, that way the connections are always there, a getting a connection each time you need to do a unit of work becomes less of an overhead. With dbcp you can create your connection by using an xml file usually named 'something.jocl', drop this into you classpath and load a connection like you normally would, the url for the connection being 'jdbc:apache:commons:dbcp:/something'

Take a look at the jocl example

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons/dbcp/doc/

This allows an easy to create, easy to change database configuration, using a
connection pool.

Regards,

Gareth

Paul Benedict wrote:
Guys,

This is off-topic but I need your help. There are some
good programmers here and I would like to receive some
advice back. I am sure there's a simple answer to it.

My Struts app is a multitier app (Web -> Business ->
DAO) and it uses Jakarta Commons DbUtils for the DAO
layer. My DAO methods are the typical get
connection,execute,close connection pattern. Well,
suddenly my DAO methods are complex enough that I can
call my publically defined methods as helpers, which
leads to all sorts of problems. That would opening a
connection per call to a sibling method!

What should be done here?

I thought of moving the ownership of the connection
from the method to the instance level. Is this
appropriate? At least I could get sharing of a
connection. But some business layers call multiple
different DAO objects and it makes even more sense to
share a connection across all DAO objects. Would this
be better? I think so, but I don't know how to model
it.

Please, any help! It is holding up my design.

Thanks,
Paul

__________________________________ Yahoo! Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour: http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html

Gareth Evans

MSoft eSolutions Limited
Technology Centre
Inward Way
Rossmore Business Park
Ellesmere Port
Cheshire
CH65 3EN

--
Tel:    +44 (0)870 0100 704
Fax:    +44 (0)870 9010 705

Terms:
Please note that any prices quoted within this e-mail are subject to VAT.
All program details and code described in this e-mail are subject to
copyright © of MSoft eSolutions Limited and remain the intellectual
property of MSoft eSolutions Limited.
Any proposal or pricing information contained within this e-mail are
subject to MSoft eSolutions' Terms and Conditions
Disclaimer:
This message is intended only for use of the addressee. If this message
was sent to you in error, please notify the sender and delete this
message. MSoft eSolutions Limited cannot accept responsibility for viruses,
so please scan attachments. Views expressed in this message do not
necessarily reflect those of MSoft eSolutions Limited who will not
necessarily be bound by its contents.