Wendy Smoak wrote:
I dropped a (Servlet 2.3) Struts 1.2.7 + Tiles webapp into a fresh Tomcat 5.5 install, and started seeing directory listings of contents under WEB-INF.

Tomcat properly refuses to serve any of the files; clicking on any of them gives the usual 404 that you'd get if you constructed a URL to something under WEB-INF.

It seems to be coming from tags like this

basicLayout.jsp:
  <tiles:insert attribute="tabs"/>

when I do this to keep anything from appearing in that spot

tiles-defs.xml:
 <definition name="masterPage" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/layout/basicLayout.jsp">
    <put name="tabs"        value="" />
 </definition>

I don't know whether Tiles or Tomcat is at fault here, but I'm pretty sure that no matter how badly I misconfigure a webapp, [and I didn't change anything from what worked on Tomcat 4.1,] it should not be possible to get directory listings under WEB-INF.

(On advice from tomcat-user, I've "fixed" the problem by turning off directory listings for the default servlet in conf/web.xml.)

Has anyone else tried to move a Struts+Tiles app to Tomcat 5.5 with no changes?

I had a problem like this, but it was slightly different. I had a very generic wildcard mapping, "/*", that forwarded to {1}, If there was an {1} forward configured, then it worked, otherwise, it would do 1 of 2 things consistently: upchuck or print a directory listing.

Are you using wildcard mappings?

- Dave